The next section provides an example of the Flip the Sound strategy lesson. One think I really liked here was the hand movement that signals the strategy. I think that will be really helpful for my kinaesthetic learners.
Whole lesson elements
- Identify what is to be taught, and share the "secret to success" with the strategy.
- Teach the strategy.
- Students practise with partners.
- Select a student to write and illustrate the CAFE menu strategy card (1st time only).
- Review the strategy.
- Encourage practice during independent reading times.
- Post the strategy after independent practice.
- Continually connect new strategies to strategies that are already on the CAFE board
Four more sample lessons are provided to demonstrate a variety of strategies. These really help me see how the CAFE can work to help my students become better readers.
Something I'm also beginning to see is how I can reinforce the strategies during other lessons as well, especially science and social studies where we do quite a lot of "reading to learn".