25 July 2018

Summer Reading #2 - Kindness





Kindness: Change Your Life and Make the World a Kinder Place by [Hasson, Gill]The second book that I read this summer was definitely written for adults, but still easy to read and practical.

This book had two sections. The first part was "Being Kind to Others" and the second part was "Being Kind to Yourself". A lot of what was in this book was not new to me, but it's a topic that's worth revisiting every now and again. With chapters in Part 1 like "Go Out of Your Way to Make a Difference" and "Be Kind When Others are Rude and Inconsiderate", I definitely picked up a few tips to help me with my goal of being more relational and having teachers see me as a good communicator.

The second part is something that I've always struggled with. The perfectionist in me finds it pretty easy to be down on myself when I stuff up, so these three chapters: "Don't Be So Hard on Yourself; Be Kind", "Kindness When Your Life is Really Difficult", and "Feel Good About Yourself, were definitely worth reading (and probably rereading as well). This year I need to not only work on being kinder to others, but I'm going to start being kinder to myself, initially by keeping work to work hours (even if still means 12 hours from when I leave home to when I arrive home, including a 30 minute walk in the mornings).

So am I happy with the purchases I made in Singapore's Changi Airport? Definitely!

I'm going to finish this post with a quote from the back cover of the book:
"One small act of kindness can change a person's life, and that person might even be you."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments with hyperlinks to other sites will not be published on this site.