26 April 2011

Why are there wars?

OK. I'm not really expecting an answer to that question. It goes with out saying that there is ultimately only one reason why there are wars, and it all starts with a one letter word that sits in the middle of a three letter word. Yep, you guessed it. SIN So why am I thinking about this at the moment? Well, as I go on with my daily routine of sleeping, eating, teaching, eating, working and sleeping, there are people in this country that I call "home" who have had to leave their homes, and have no real idea when they might get back to them. More than 20,000 people. Not only that, but there are more people on the other side of the border in the same situation.
You can find out more about it here and here and here.
At times I have to wonder why governments around the world spend billions of dollars on tools for defence (or war), and yet so many go without even one daily meal, or clean water, or adequate sanitation, or a dry bed (or even a place to call home). Surely in this age of instant communication we can do better than that! Sadly, people across the world continue to suffer while governments dispute land ownership or other things.
What can I do?
I can be sure I teach the children in my care that there are better ways to solve problems than fighting, and give them the tools to do it. Who knows, maybe one day one of the children I have the privilege of teaching as an 8-10 year old now will be in a position of leadership in his/her country, and will be able to help prevent future conflicts.
Cambodia is still a troubled country. It is still rebuilding from years of internal and external conflicts. Please pray for Cambodia. Pray for the leaders of this beautiful country, that they will seek peace with their neighbours and will also make wise choices in their leadership. Pray too, that God will continue to make Himself known to Cambodians. Pray for Cambodians sharing His love with their own people, and for expats sharing His love. This country and these people need to know that love Jesus. Which reminds me of a line in a song that has been around for many years, "You're the only Jesus, some will ever see". Please pray for me to, that those people around me will see Jesus in me.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, it is sad, very sad. But you are right - we who look after children one way or another see mini wars every day. All we can do is do our best to teach them. But God never promised us earthly peace - unfortunately! We have to wait for that.

    ReplyDelete

Comments with hyperlinks to other sites will not be published on this site.