20 February 2010

God knows best

I know that I shouldn't be amazed by God's amazing provision for us in the various circumstances that we find ourselves in, but I'll admit that I'm often pleasantly surprised, and even amazed, by God's provision for our needs in ways that we least expect it.

Take for example my trip to Bangkok this weekend. I booked the tickets for this weekend get-a-way back in August 2009, when they were a great bargain. God knew, even then, that I would be in real need of a chance to get away from daily life, and to spend time with Him, and to just relax and forget about teaching students for a few days. In addition to that, He knew I'd left my wallet with my Thai money in it at home, and prompted me to get enough money from the ATM at PP airport to see me through this weekend in BKK (I didn't realise I didn't have the wallet until the plane was in the air). Praise God that He cares for ALL the details in our lives.

Another example of God's amazing knowledge has been some of the readings in my devotions this week. He has met my needs in and provided encouragement for me that has been so relevant to where I am at the moment. Consider the following:

On Monday, the topic was "Defining Failure" and the key verses was "Who through faith ... out of weakness were made strong. - Hebrews 11:33-34". The last line of the main article was especially encouraging: "Our life is not a failure if we've repented of our sins. God can still use us to serve Him." and the concluding poem
The lessons we learn from our failures
Are lessons that help us succeed,
And if we are wise and we heed them,
Then failure is just what we need.

Then on Wednesday the topic was "In the Car Wash", thinking about Isaiah 43:1-13, and especially verse 2, "When you walk through the waters, I will be with you."
How wonderful to know that He
Who watches from above
Will always keep us sheltered in
His ever-present love!

On Thursday, Psalm 62 was the focus with the key verse being verse 8: "Trust in Him at all times, you people; pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us." The closing worrds were a timely reminder:
"While there is great comfort in sharing our difficulties with a friend, we miss the greatest help if we fail to bring them to the Lord. Joseph Scriven said it so well:
What a friend we have in Jesus,
All our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry
Everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit,
O what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry
Everything to God in prayer!

On Friday I was directed to James 1:2-3: "My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience."
Though you cannot see the outcome,
Trust the Lord--He knows what's best;
Be assured He sees your trial,
And He's with you in your test.

And finally today's key verse was Psalm 40:1 "I waited patiently for the LORD; and He turned to me, and heard my cry." and the reflection also highlighted Psalm 27:14 "Wait on the LORD; be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart".
Praying, resting, waiting, trusting--
These are words that tell a story;
As we wait for God to lead us,
He responds, "Just seek My glory."
God orders our stops as well as our steps. Praise God that he ordered this weekend's "stop" for me, and also that He has my steps for future service already planned for me.

So far I've enjoyed sleeping in, riding on the subway, and wandering through Tesco Lotus and CarreFour (Thailand's answer to my yearning for KMart & Big W), as well as IT City. Tomorrow I'm not 100% sure what I'll do, but I think it might include the famous Chatuchak weekend market and a movie on the BIG screen. Whatever I do, I know that God will be right there beside me.

By the way, the cake featured in my last post did not last long! Several of my colleagues enjoyed sharing it with me on Tuesday afternoon. It was moist, and delicious!

Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments with hyperlinks to other sites will not be published on this site.