04 February 2011

Cambodian Birthday Number 5

Yes, I have just celebrated my fifth birthday in Cambodia. Yes, I've been here for four years now and am into my fifth, and committed to my sixth!

Each year I have celebrated different ways. The first year, I went bowling with a small group of friends.
The second year I honestly cannot remember what I did, although I do know I was still recovering from a broken arm so it would have been interesting.
The third year, I shared pizza and chocolate cupcakes with some friends then watched "Mamma Mia".

Last year you can read about here. It was a fun day.







This year, I was privileged to have my birthday on a Saturday, which meant no school! Yeehah! In the morning I headed over to my favourite bookshop, looking forward to purchasing another batch of books for the classroom library. Sadly, the shipment that had come in wasn't kids' books, so I was destined to be disappointed. I did manage to find a few books to read myself, so all was not lost. After lunch at home, I headed down to Tropical Oasis where I met my friend J**** and we had our nails done! This time I had both finger & toe nails decorated. Here's the evidence.
If you look closely you'll be able to make out the butterfly on each nail! You'll also notice the damage done to the beauty on my big toes by putting them inside a pair of bowling shoes before they had completely set! Oh well, life's like that. Jenny & I went bowling too, for half an hour, and had a great time. After that I came home for a while before heading out again, this time to meet another friend, M***, for dinner at a small restaurant called "The Green Vespa". It's an interesting place, named after the owner's first Cambodian motorbike. Not that flash to look at, but they do a great roast dinner with really good roast vegetables! Yummy. After dinner we headed back to my friends where we enjoyed watching a remake of an old movie "Sabrina". We'd both seen it before, but it was fun to watch.

Finally a little later than usual, I headed home for bed, and here was my last adventure of the day. I got home, and found the outside door to my house had been bolted from the inside! I was locked out. Not exactly the ending I had planned for my birthday. Fortunately the only person inside whose phone number I had (and whom I was eventually able to contact) was the person who had bolted the door. She was apologetic, and I made plans for trying to prevent it happening again. All's well that ends well.
I wonder what my adventures I'll have on my next birthday. I guess I'll just have to wait and see! I'm not in any hurry for it to arrive.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool nails! I miss those value spa items even though I hardly took advantage of them when I was there. Happy Birthday to you from our whole family. Sending love and hugs your way. I'm off to play "friend mom" with Evie. So exciting ;)

    ReplyDelete

Comments with hyperlinks to other sites will not be published on this site.