07 July 2011

Five books that changed who I am

A fellow blogger challenged me to write about this topic some time ago, and I'm finally getting around to it! The fun part comes when you tag another three to five people, and see what they write. I'm tagging AnnaKara, and Katherine. Friends if you are up for the challenge the rules are these:
  • Tag between three and five people
  • Link back to this post
  • Call the post "Five books that changed who I am"
  • Enjoy
This was actually harder it might seem. Why? Well think about it, which books have changed who you are? This wasn't just asking me to consider what my favourite books are, or even the ones that I read the most often, but books that have changed who I am. Interesting concept. In reality, it isn't the books that have changed me, but God who changes me, but He often uses books to do it. Almost every book I read has some impact on my life, and many change how I think about certain topics. That doesn't just include non-fiction books, but also much of the fiction I read as well, especially the inspirational fiction. As I continue to contemplate this topic, it becomes harder and harder to limit myself to just five books, but here goes.

The past 18 months saw a lot of change happening in my life, and there are several books that have helped in that change process. I'd be wrong if I didn't mention the Bible as a book which has changed my life, so that will be my first book. The Bible is such a powerful book, and it brings comfort and challenge. Each time I read it, I hope that I change a little, as I continue allowing its author to mold me life to be what He wants it to be.

As I faced the many challenges of the past 18 months, another book which has changed me in positive ways is "Self Talk, Soul Talk" by Jennifer Rothschild. Each time I have picked this book up I've been challenged to consider how I talk to myself. No, I'm not going insane, but yes, I will admit that I talk to myself. Is all that self talk helpful? This book has challenged me to change the way I talk to myself (and what I choose to hear myself saying) so that I grow through my talk rather than get discouraged.

The third book that has impacted on my life and teaching this year, and which I continue to go back to is quite different. It's a book written for teachers, and has really helped me understand both myself and some of my students so much better this year, and I hope it has helped me to become a better teacher. The title is "Differentiation Through Personality Types: A Framework for Instruction, Assessment, and Classroom Management". Understanding my own personality type better, and how it affects me in the classroom, and then considering the personality types of my students using some of the tools in this book, has I think helped me to become a better teacher.

Book number four is "Be a 24/7 Christian" by Wade Akins. This book focuses on the Lordship of Christ, with a number of short, pithy chapters grouped under each heading. With headings like Significance of Lordship, Surrender to Lordship, Struggling with Lordship, Secret of Lordship and Serving Under Lordship, this book was one which challenged me at a time when I was truly feeling "out of control" of my life. I had no idea what I was going to be doing after the end of May, and I was really struggling with that. God used this book to "break" me, and to help me to learn a deeper level of surrender to Him. As I struggled with some of the content of the book, and knowing that I so often failed to be fully surrendered, God reached out and showed me His grace. The last chapter of this book is titled "Amazing Grace" and I think it is the most important chapter of all. God's grace is awesome, and beyond description.

Which brings me to the final book which has changed my life. I've only recently finished reading "Captured by Grace" by David Jeremiah, and I'm not going to tell you any more than that it led me to a much deeper understanding of the grace which is ours each and every day through Jesus! You can read more of my thoughts about this book here.

As I continue to read and reread many books, I know that God will work in and through my reading to bring me closer to being the person He planned me to be.

Five favourite books/series/authors:
  • Chalet School Series by Elinor M. Brent-Dyer
  • Abbey Girls Series by Elsie J. Oxenham
  • Max Lucado
  • Karen Kingsbury
  • Robyn Jones Gunn
So if you are one of the people I've tagged, or even if you're not, I hope this post has led you to think about how books have helped change you. Happy reading friends.

1 comment:

  1. I want to add one more book to this, even though it makes six. This book is one of the few ebooks that I have read, and reading it, together with challenges I was going through at the time, resulted in me reaching out to someone I didn't really know, and ended up in me making a new friend. She'a very precious friend and you can read her book, "God, how can I trust you" (her story) at http://www.hopeforthejourney.com/book.html. Thanks Rene for telling your story, and for the special part you have in my life.

    ReplyDelete

Comments with hyperlinks to other sites will not be published on this site.