10 April 2010

Hooray for Holidays -- Khmer New Year

Yes, it's holidays. Just one week off school, but a very welcome break, especially as the hot season continues, and the rainy season has not yet started. Sometimes we wish for a storm, just to cool things off, but then we think about what it would do to the access roads into and out of the school and we decide we'll be content to wait a little longer.

Wednesday, Thursday and Friday this week are the official Khmer New Year holidays, so I'm anticipating something of an exodus from Phnom Penh. This is the holiday when most people seem to head out to the provinces, and the streets of Phnom Penh are somewhat quieter. That can be good, in that there tend to be less traffic jams, or it can be not so good, because the young and reckless drivers see the open roads as a chance to go faster! Either way, I'll continue to be cautious.

Today has been a delightful day in some ways. I have not left my house all day, but have enjoyed relaxing, catching up with family and friends on Skype, playing Scrabble on Facebook, reading, and watching a couple of episodes of "Numbers". Tomorrow I will need to do some music practice, since I'm playing for the afternoon service at ICF, and there are some songs that I'm not really familiar with. I'll do some work on them, and then trust God with the final outcome.

Do I have other plans for the holidays? Well, sort of. I'm going to head out to the school at least 3 mornings, hopefully with a friend, to start the day with a swim, and then do some grading and planning in air-conditioned comfort. Since there will be very few people around, I'm allowed to run the air-conditioner in the classroom, even though I'll be the only one there! Of course, this can only happen if we actually have electricity, so I'm hoping and praying that we do. The electricity is useful for planning too, so that I can use the computer.

Apart from that I've got plans to meet an acquaintance for lunch on Tuesday, and have been invited to a barbecue next Friday with some families from the school, so it won't all be work. Might also invite some other friends over for a movie one evening.

For those who are wondering what's happening in relation to the future, there is no news at this stage. I continue to hold on to the fact that God is faithful, and that He has good plans for me, and trust that He will show those plans to me in time for me to make the necessary arrangements.

OK. I've got time for one more episode of Numbers before I head to bed! Good night all. Karen

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good week in store for you. What is Numbers?! I'm clueless... See you Friday at 5!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Numbers is a TV series, where the FBI uses a mathematician to help them solve crimes. Bit of a different twist to CSI etc.

    ReplyDelete

Comments with hyperlinks to other sites will not be published on this site.