12 March 2011

Would someone please slow the clock down?

I just realised that it's almost 3 weeks since I last wrote here, and if you asked me where that time went I'm not sure I could tell you. The weeks seem to be flying by in a flurry of daily activity. School take most of my time, but I do also try and make time for some personal reading, going to the gym, and other forms of relaxation, as well as helping out with worship at ICF.

The big excitement of the most recently completed week was receiving the Scholastic BookClub order I placed a week ago. I am happy to report that as well as some welcome additions to the classroom library I now have a selection of books which the children will choose from at the end of the year as their own special book. I was also able to order a couple of extra teaching resources using the bonus points I had built up, which I'm looking forward to using and learning from. Today I have finished placing a school-wide order, so we hope that is delivered as quickly as the one I placed. The children get so excited about their new books. It is wonderful to see.

I've been getting to the gym at least twice a week, and hope to increase that to 3 or 4 times next week. It's still a challenge fitting it in, but when I do go I usually enjoy it, so that is a good thing. I can now comfortably swim 1km (albeit with lots of lane turns).

School is full of joys and challenges. The joys far outweigh the challenges, but the challenges are there nonetheless. One of the challenges this week has been trying to find information about Cambodia in English that is at a suitable level for my students. This consumed many hours, with limited success, but hopefully I managed to find enough to allow them to write some brief reports that we can put into a book. I know there have been a few children's books published on Cambodia over the years, but they are usually hardback and rather expensive. We do have a few in the library, but it would be great to get some more. I found a brilliant website in Australia which has good information and support activities on many Asian countries, but Cambodia is not one of these. Life's like that.

Well, my list of jobs to do is not getting any shorter, so I'd better finish off now and think about what I can cross off it next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments with hyperlinks to other sites will not be published on this site.