13 December 2009

Confessions of a Procrastinator

Ever had a job to do, that seemed so overwhelming that you just couldn't get started?

What about being faced with reading and marking 24 stories written by 9 to 11 year olds?

Or writing 24 report cards in a less than 36 hours (and there's also 6 hours of teaching to be done in that time, as well as some sleep that must be had if you are to be even civil to your colleagues, and gentle & patient with your students)?

Actually it's not as bad as it seems. I've done 3 of the 24 stories, and 3 can't be done until the kids finish typing them into the computer (and I'm not sure when they are going to get that done). Added to that, I have got all the Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Bible, and Computer grades done, as well as deciding on most of the Study & Life skills scores, and I have even written some comments (they do have to be typed into the report cards though).

For some unknown reason, I just cannot get motivated, or stay motivated once I start. You'd think I wouldn't need any other motivation with the deadline looming so close, but somehow the piles of papers (in addition to the 24 stories) that I need to review, just seem like too much. I just can't face it.

OK. There is one important factor that I seem to be forgetting. I need to take this issue to God, and ask for His help. He can help me focus on the task at hand. He can help me grade the papers fairly. He can help me decide what is important and what was just skills practice. In Philippians 4, Paul tells us that "we can do all things through Christ who gives us strength". And a little earlier in Philippians 2, he tells us to "Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, ...". Ouch! I need to work on that one! Especially the next time the principal says I'm getting an extra student!

Well, I really have procrastinated far too long. I guess, I'd better go and do a little praying, and then I really must get those stories read and graded, and put together some sort of plan for tomorrow. By the way, if you're a fellow procrastinator, feel free to give me some tips on how to beat the habit, but only if you can guarantee they work!

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments with hyperlinks to other sites will not be published on this site.