05 August 2009

First Day for Returning Teachers

Yes, I have officially started work! These last days before the students return on Monday will be very busy.

One of the items on the agenda today was a workshop/in-service on the 6 + 1 Traits of Writing. This tool to help teachers and students develop strong writing through direct teaching, dialogue, and assessment of student work, is a required strategy for the school. Unfortunately for me I've been here for 2 1/2 year and this is the first chance I've had to actually do a workshop on it (no-one's fault, just one of those things), although I have been using bits of it in the classroom. It's been really interesting doing the workshop this morning, and I'm looking forward to tomorrow morning when we do the other half.
This afternoon was sign-up for extra-curricular duties, as well as allocation of professional learning groups. I've managed to step away from the sound side of things this year, and am going to stretch myself by helping with Middle School Girls volleyball. I'm also going to be co-ordinating the Scholastic Book Club program across the school, with help from one of the Khmer Teaching Assistants (actually I hope it will be help from more than one person, at least when it comes to placing orders). I will also be leading one of the Professional Learning Groups, which really just means facilitating meetings and encouraging everyone to do the required "observations". Personally I think that the requirement to do one a month is too much, but I guess I'll have to encourage it, and do my best to help it happen. Given that last year a number of us didn't even do one observation, it will be interesting to see what happens.
Well tomorrow is another day, and I've got a few things still to do tonight, so I'd better get on with it. Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments with hyperlinks to other sites will not be published on this site.