09 August 2009

Ready, set, GO!

In just a little more than eight hours the first day of school (for the 2009-2010 school year) will be underway. The classroom is ready (well almost, but hopefully cleaner will be in bright and early so I can finish it off. Hopefully I can snap a few photos once it's finally ready.
Eventually I'll be welcoming 24 students into my 4th grade classroom, along with my new teaching assistant (well, he's already been welcomed), however tomorrow there will only be 20. Two students will return on Tuesday, and another won't arrive until sometime in September, and there's still one place to be finally allocated. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have everyone's names at least so I can finalise grade books etc.
I have a plan for the day, which is partly dependent of getting some photocopying done before school (so let's hope the copier doesn't go on strike through overwork!). Actually if I get through all I have planned for tomorrow it will be a miracle, but that's what first days are always like. Hopefully I have enough tasks organised for students to keep them busy while I manage some individual time with each student. Later in the week we'll be getting started on some fun projects, but tomorrow is mostly getting to know you and testing activities. Mondays are good days (even if I don't get any prep periods), since we have Khmer/Computers, and Library/Swimming. I'll be teaching the Computers and Library. Just as well I don't have to teach Khmer or no-one would learn anything, although I did impress our security staff today when I was able tell them I had already eaten in their own language! Well they all smiled at me anyway. I love practising what little Khmer I do know, and our Khmer staff are very willing to help me.
Church this afternoon was good, with a reminder of the importance of forgiveness, both to the person who needs to forgive and the person who is forgiven. The important thing for me to remember is that in forgiving others we set ourselves free.
Well, that's it for today. Time to clean the teeth and head for bed so I'm bright eyed & bushy tailed in the morning. Oh, and cheerful not grumpy goes down well too!
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments with hyperlinks to other sites will not be published on this site.