12 July 2009

Psalms

I love the Psalms. They are such a great way to remind myself of just how much God has done for me, and also how much I can trust Him with every aspect of my life. This evening's sermon was on Psalms 98 & 99, and it was great to be reminded of the different characteristics of God, especially as our King (the King of Kings), and of how we need to respond to Him.
One of the books I'm reading at the moment is a novel about the end times, and it is a little scary to think just how much control there could be of the world, and in reality, it's potentially not that far away. One of the questions I'm pondering is just how I would respond if there was a major effort by the government to control the church, and to control the type of message that is preached. I hope that I would be able to stand up for what I know is true, and that I would be strong in the face of persecution. I hope that I don't have to face that situation, but at the same time, I hope that in Christ's strength, I could stand strong and steadfast for Him.
Another book I read over my holidays made me think about what heaven is like. I'd read another book by the same author before, and it certainly challenged me. OK, it was a novel, and therefore we have no way of knowing that's what it's really like, but I found it interesting. I haven't thought a lot about heaven, but I do know, from what I've read, that I want to go there!
The same book provided a short picture of what the author thought hell would be like, and for a non-Christian that chapter could have been really scary. Again, it was fiction, but it was founded in the scriptural accounts. Definitely interesting.
Well, I've been rather deep and meaningful this evening. Maybe tomorrow I'll write my own Psalm. You'll just have to wait and see. Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments with hyperlinks to other sites will not be published on this site.